Thursday, October 14, 2010

My ignorance: How to tackle it?



Instance 1: Is rugby a part of commonwealth games? Before I could say I don’t know and present my ignorance in a platter to the other person, a colleague of mine replied "no its not". I thanked god for saving me of the embarrassment in front of a customer.

Instance 2: How would US have fared in the commonwealth games? What do you think? I said I have no clue. Still think about it, give it a wild guess. I said I don’t know may be average. I heard a burst of laughter from the other side. You don’t even know this. US is not even a part of common wealth games. I just smiled at my ignorance.

That night I thought about it and below are some random thoughts:

• Why do I end up presenting myself as so ignorant in front of others?
• Where do I go wrong, Is it actually so bad?
• Do I understand the importance of being updated?
• I do but...i don’t have the time ...for anything else other than my work and my son
• Is this plea that I don’t get time just an excuse
• Do I really make an effort to keep myself updated? I do it at times, but then tend to lose out on the daily dose

I realized there is no point in thinking about all this. It time to do something about it. First thing – Rugby is a part of commonwealth games. Its Rugby sevens – made up of a team of seven players instead of usual 15. I quickly double checked on Google and sent an email to my customer to that effect. This was the source of some relief.

Now checked about Common wealth games - The Commonwealth of Nations, normally referred to as the Commonwealth and previously known as the British Commonwealth, is an intergovernmental organization of fifty-four independent member states. All but three of these countries were formerly part of the British Empire. Post 2010, the next Commonwealth games are to be held in Glasgow, Scotland in 2014.

But, this does not solve it in anyway. I understand that there is no doubt that I have limited time and honestly this is not an excuse. But still, in case there is a will, I could definitely be better updated of things around me rather than just being ignorant, oblivious and the likes.

So, here’s the plan. Every week, I would update my blog with what all I have read in an effort to keep myself updated. Sounds like a plan?...Well let’s see till when can I take this forward.

Do read to ensure that you don’t end up being embarrassed for ignorance. Awareness is cure to blindness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment